The only legal right of the creator of a creative work is copyright. Copyright may be defined as the ability to copy or reproduce. In the UAE, copyright registration grants authors of original works the right to reproduce or otherwise use the work, often for a short time.
What Types of Intellectual Property Are Entitled to Registration of Copyright in the UAE Under UAE Copyright Law?
According to UAE copyright law, any original work in the literary, artistic, educational, or musical fields shall be considered for registration. The Author’s rights are safeguarded under Federal Decree-Law No. 38/2021 on Copyrights and Neighboring Rights (“Copyright Law”). The following works are eligible for registration under copyright laws:
- Other literary works include books, pamphlets, and essays.
- Databases, computer programs, and other comparable works as described in a decision to be made by the Minister of Economy
- sermons, speeches, lectures, and other related works
- pantomimes, musicals, and plays
- musicals with conversation and those without
- audio-visual works, also known as audio-visual works
- Building projects, architectural blueprints, and architectural drawings
- works of high art such as illustrations, paintings, sculptures, etchings, lithographs, screen prints, reliefs, intaglio prints, and other such creations
- photography, among other things
- works of plastic and applied art
- Charts, maps, plans, three-dimensional modelling for topographical and geographical purposes, architectural designs, etc.
- Derivative works are subject to the protection given to the work (s) they are based on. The title of the work, if it was developed, and the original idea for broadcast content are both protected.
The career of the artist is safeguarded by UAE copyright legislation. To prevent the tarnishing of their original works, everyone who practices art must register their copyright in the UAE. The main goal of copyright law is to safeguard the original owner’s time, labour, and creativity.
Additionally, protection does not cover any concepts, working techniques, official texts—such as those of laws, rules, and decisions—as well as news, current events, and current facts, as well as works that have been turned over to the public domain.
What Types of Works Are Entitled To Registration Under UAE Copyright Law?
A work must fulfil two conditions to be registered as copyright:
- The creation of copyrighted work should not include plagiarism.
- The objective form of the copyrighted work is required.
Works that Are Not Copyrighted
- The categories of work that cannot be protected by copyright include facts, principles, mathematical concepts, techniques, and ideas.
- Judicial judgements, legal papers, statutes, regulations, and international treaties.
- The public domain only protects news content if an attempt is initially made to organize or assemble information.
What Are a Creative Person’s Rights Under UAE Copyright Law?
The registration of works rights is covered under Article 4 of the UAE copyright law. In it, it is said:
- The Implementing Regulation of the Copyright Law shall control the recording of the rights to the Work and dispositions made concerning those rights, and the Ministry’s registers shall be regarded as a reference for information about the Work and its ownership.
- No element of the protection or rights provided by this Decree-Law may be violated by the Work’s non-registration or any acts related thereto.
Moral rights of the Author
1. The Author and his universal successor shall have inalienable moral rights for all time.
2. The following are the rights of the Author and his universal successor:
- The option to choose the initial publication of his work, among other things.
- The right to claim paternity over the professional output.
- The authority to forbid any alteration of the Work if it corrupts the Work or harms the Author’s reputation.
- The right to seek, except for smart apps, computer programs, and applications, that the Civil Court remove the Work from circulation based on justifiable grounds.
Why register your copyright?
- Take ownership of your creations and guard against plagiarism.
- Control product replication and dissemination.
- Become capable of legally protecting your copyright.
- Included are knowledgeable customer service and assistance.
Requirements and Conditions for Registration of Copyright in the UAE
- The application must be made in person by the Author, by the rights holder or their representative, and
- Following properly notarized documentation.
Required Documents Registration of Copyright in the UAE
- For individuals – a copy of the authors’ Emirates ID (both sides)
- For companies and government entities – a copy of the Emirates ID (both sides).
Registration of Copyright in the UAE: Procedure
According to UAE Copyright Law, copyright in the United Arab Emirates may only be registered after the formation of the copyright object. There are two primary conditions for copyright objects: 1. they must be the product of original thought (and not be plagiarized), and
2. they must be conveyed in an unbiased way.
By submitting a straightforward form and depositing a sample of the work with the Copyright Department of the UAE Ministry of Economy, you may register your copyright object in the United Arab Emirates Within one to three months.
Need Support From Copyright Experts for Registration of Copyright in the UAE?
Experts like Far Consultants Middle east offers copyright registration in Dubai and the UAE for individuals and businesses involved in any creative sector. Copyright Experts in Dubai will provide advice and assist you in safeguarding your work against any infringement in the UAE if you need clarification on the procedure or legal requirements involved in copyrighting your work in the UAE. If you want to submit a complaint against a copyright infringement in the UAE or register a copyright, get in touch with Copyright Experts in Dubai.